Sunday 27 February 2011

My views on Fandom

The internet is full of enthusiasts. Enthusing over many things. Sometimes they praise things I like, sometimes they praise things I don't like. Sometimes they apply their enthusiasm towards the dislike of something. It seems to me though that regardless of the topic enthused over, some people are rather enjoyable and some are just incredibly annoying.

Take John Green's sport-based twitter account. I have little to no interest in sport, but his enthusiasm for it is really very pleasing to read (to me at least).

Now take a variety of posts about Harry Potter from Tumblr. And if you don't mind, I shall take a deep breath and adjust my seating to make myself more comfortable. Some of it is enjoyable, such as the multiple layers of fun derived from screencaps by -morning. Some of it is legitimate "Well done JK for writing a great series of books, I have enjoyed them and this is why", which again I can respect and feel content about.

Then there are those posts which are obsessive.

Posts saying "OMG That's So Ravenclaw!" (which is not a 'thing', but I wish it was cause I just thought of it and it's funny ofc), or more specifically spazzing out over how amazing something is because it's related to the films or the books. Posts that go to great lengths to say why a particular house is amazing because of this and that and the other and how they still now read and reread the books to prepare themselves for the final film.

Now, don't get me wrong, I have read all of the books and watched all of the films thusfar. I will be going to see the last one when it comes out at the cinema. I have enjoyed much of it (though the ending of the Chamber of Secrets movie is the most horrifyingly cheesy thing I have ever seen). I just hate to see people speaking in reverential terms over fiction, I guess.

I have a similar problem whenever I've been to a gathering of Doctor Who fans. When I went to get my copy of The Writer's Tale signed in Birmingham, I was surrounded by obsessive fans who spoke reverently over little parts of the canon and of seeing and meeting various Who alumni. Some were enthusing over the costumes that they were wearing and some were dismayed that they has chosen not to bring and therefore not showcase a particular outfit. But to put myself in context in that scene, I was the only one anywhere near me who had actually read the whole book and I was incredibly starstruck at the thought of coming face-to-face with Russell T Davies. I got all of the little references that the people around me were making. I more than once restrained myself from correcting them because they were quoting things wrong or drawing incorrect conclusions. I still found the whole mindset repellent.

I suppose in a way, it's about expressing enjoyment without making a fool out of yourself. I suppose in a way, that last sentence was extremely pretentious. I just think it's possible to say how much you love something without vomiting rainbows over it. Without gushing openly like a New York fire hydrant smashed open by a great piece of media and somehow henceforth being infused with a potent overdose of caffeine, cocaine and golden syrup.

See also; My views on religion. Oh wait, you just did.

No comments:

Post a Comment