Thursday 7 January 2010

Enjoying the day. (Minimal Snow mention, I promise)

Today was full of much. I will commence writing about said day, now.

I got a call this morning at 7am from work. At that point I'd been asleep for less than 4 hours. Needless to say (but I will anyway) their interruption was not pleasing in spite of the fact they called with the intent of giving me an extra day off. I told them I'd call them back after think about it when I was more un-asleep, but almost as soon as I was asked I knew I didn't want to do it. I'd much rather be in work bored than at home doing stuff. At least bored at work I get money that makes stuff possible. And I have the internet there.

So my minds pretty made up when I get another call from the office at noon. I chose not to answer cause it's about time they realised that it's my day off. From the message left it seemed that they'd done a total one-eighty and now not only wanted me working but they wanted me to do the 7am start. So I rang them back and everything was back to the original plan of me doing the 3pm shift.

Two phonecalls, two breaks in my sleep, and two paragraphs have happened but nothing has changed. Typical.

So I got up, finally gave final utility meter readings to the providers I've not used for over two weeks and mustered up the willpower and awakeness to go round my Grandparents and take down the Xmas decorations. Except at this point all I actually had to do was take the drawing pins out of the wall and drink tea. It seems my Nan got bored in the week she's been waiting for me to find the time to help out. It was nice anyway to see that both of my Grandparents have recovered a little from the winter injuries and illness that they'd suffered over Xmas.

Anyway, the reason I bring the visit up was that my Nan asked if I'd seen the Doctor Who regeneration. Of course we both knew it was a rhetorical question so she went on to say how she liked it and thought it was funny how he thought he was a woman. It was really cool hearing how my 70+ year old Nan had enjoyed watching the biggest geek event of the last week. I told her of my position on the whole regeneration, and how I was a fan of the show first and foremost and she agreed with me and told me how she'd watched it since William Hartnell. It was a wondrous thing to hear from a woman who I'd say was an average viewer. How she's kept watching it and enjoyed it right though. Now I wouldn't say she's a massive fan in those terms but she's a viewer and she's kept up with it and that to me is marvellous.

Onwards from there with the promise of future sausage rolls and I was on my way to Birmingham to meet Stuart for food, catch-up and Sherlock Holmes. Irritatingly I found as I sat waiting for the train, my DS battery was to the point of Red Light. So I switched to my phone to occupy myself on Twitter and the battery on that was pronounced "low". I sat with at least an hour of travel time there and back lying ahead and I was sans applications. Not only that, but my attempt to coral snow into a ball was a complete fail due to the whole lot being more powdery than a dressing room of paranoid actresses who heard that heavily Talc'd faces were all the rage.

So I spent the first and shortest journey sitting on my hands and go to meet Stu at the cinema. We get tickets and go to the traditional catch up and eat place, The Pub. We had a fun chat and remarked on what we were planning for the future and how things are in our new homes and all was fun and then we went to see Sherlock Holmes.

We went to the Odeon, where all food and drink costs more than anything I could've bought in the pub. We were shown to our screen only to find that in spite of there being a Premier Seat Option the room itself was quite small. Seems that the Premier Seats were just slightly larger with more leg room and a head rest. Not worth paying extra really. Thankfully, I didn't.

During the stunning trailers (Clash of the Titans looks Awesome), I realised why me and Stu had stayed friends. We still have the same in-jokes, we still find joy in silly little inflections and we can still really enjoy spending time together. For this reason I am glad that we're keeping in touch.

Sherlock Holmes was a brilliant film that I felt filled the percentage bar of complete triumph pretty completely. Suffice to say that if you haven't seen it yet, you should. We left the cinema and made a short stop in Tesco. Stu bought two magazines based purely on the attractive men promised inside and we both learnt that Hall's Soothers have literally no medicinal value whatsoever (seriously read the packet) before we left there and went our separate ways.

A short wait in the cold and I'm on a 40 minute bus ride back to Dudley. I try my DS and get one puzzle done on Rittai Picross before it dies and I sit somewhat contentedly on my hands in the warm seats next to the engine.

Arriving in Dudley, I'm reminded of how the chip shops of the Black Country are characterised not only by greatness but also by early closing times and I text my mate Tom to see if they're still drinking in town. Thankfully just before my bus rounded the corner I was told that there was actually drinking happening across town and made it there just in time for last orders.

It's nice knowing that drinking with my old friends is so accessible now. I used to go a whole year without seeing them. In the case of James I could happily never see him again but on the whole it is win-worthy that we get this chance so frequently now. The conversation is a little loud due to (I assume) their drinking and attempts made to speak over each other. It doesn't matter. The conversation goes a little beyond my musical experience but thankfully not too far past my knowledge so fun is had. And I got complimented on my video and my ability to look good in a photo which I didn't know I had.

The taxi home cost me £10 due to change-fail but I am now promised a drink in future, and on the whole I had a great day.

My night since returning has been crisps and typing this. It's all good to me though. Recounting fun times is fun. And if you're still reading this, thanks. It's nice that you care so much about my massive blog post. I will also accept it being nice that you are this bored and have chosen to spend the time reading the above. I would suggest to either group that you actually stalk me. It'd be cool for you to get out of the house at least.

No comments:

Post a Comment