Monday 4 January 2010

My Journey Home

As I came to the end of my shift today, I felt I had a bit of time to relaxedly tie up remaining loose ends of jobs before I went and got changed to go home. I had a thought that perhaps I should check the bus timetable and find out exactly when I should be at the bus stop for my bus and so I did.

I had 4 minutes before I missed that bus.

Knowing, as I do, my average landspeed with a backpack and the approximate time it takes me to get out of one set of clothes and into another I was quickly aware that I had actually missed that bus.

From a quick check of another timetable I was racing up to the locker room in the hope of catching another semi-regularly used bus option but alas as I turned the corner it passed on by my stop. It was no use. I would have to get an awkward bus and walk back from Dudley.

Determined not to let the cold get me down like it has everyone else in the known universe (read: Twitter), I got onto the bus and sat down to read my book. The heater came on as we pulled away and I dived into the brilliant set-up to the Battle of Hogwarts, occasionally glancing up at the surroundings to see whether I knew where I was yet.

The bus approached Dudley with me as the only remaining passenger. I heard from the drivers cabin; "Where are you going, mate?"

I informed the man that I lived near the depot and he offered to drop me right around the corner from my house. We had a brief chat about jobs and busy-ness of said jobs and I arrived at home barely chilled.

This isn't very interesting but it does lead me to be thankful of all the little blessings. The heater, the book, the driver and the fact that the type of bus he was on placed him on a direct route past my house on the last route of his day. It all added up to me having a nice journey and a relative warmth, both physically and personally.

Simple pleasures.

No comments:

Post a Comment